Here are the many ways you can help us help the animals.
Our volunteers are the lifeblood of Wild at Heart. We are a non-profit charitable organization and nearly 100% of our activities are volunteer-run. We are always seeking new volunteers who are passionate about the environment, wildlife, education, fundraising, and construction to help us continue to build our organization so we can continue to grow.
Wild at Heart - Animal Care Internship Program
Wild at Heart has many opportunities for volunteers and we welcome your unique skills and experience to our organization! We are always looking for new volunteers in all areas of animal care, animal rescue/pick-up, education, fundraising, and construction. Please fill out the form below if you are interested.
We welcome students into our facility to complete high school (minimum of 16 years old) co-op placement as well as college/university placements (minimum of 18 years old).
The work at the centre can be very demanding, and requires a lot of cleaning, lifting, and close attention to detail. Please only contact us for co-op opportunities if you have transportation to the centre (city bus does come to Lively), are dependable, and have a genuine interest in wildlife.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
All intern positions are voluntary and full time. Position duration varies from a minimum of 2 months up to maximum of 6 months, 5 days per week, 40-50 hours per week. Schedule is rotating and includes days, evenings and weekends. Preference will be given to intern applicants dedicated to internships longer than 2 months. All applicants must be 18 years or older.
The successful interns will gain valuable practical experience in wildlife rehabilitation techniques while caring for a variety of native mammals, birds, and reptiles. Duties include animal admissions, diet preparation and feeding, cage cleaning, medication administration, wound management, and other daily care needs of the wildlife patients. No experience is necessary, but commitment to the duration of the internship is required.
If you are interested in joining the internship program, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
What To Bring
- comfortable, breathable long pants (shorts are not allowed during shifts)
- comfortable closed toed shoes (flats and flip flops are not allowed during shifts)
- clothing for your off days (temperatures can get up to +40°C with the humidity in July and August)
- a rain coat, scrubs, and rain boots are recommended
- winter apparel: windproof and waterproof boots and coat, waterproof gloves, warm hat, snow pants or thermal underwear (winter gets to -40°C with the windchill in January and February)
- there is free wifi throughout the building
- all interns must pay for all of your own transportation, health insurance, and food and cleaning (detergent) costs
- all safety equipment (gloves, masks, etc.) is provided
- transportation to and from the bus station or airport in Sudbury to our Centre is provided free of charge
- drying racks and a washing machine are on-site for laundry
- bikes are available on-site
- all bedding and linen, pillows, fridge and freezer space, and small kitchen appliances are provided at the Centre
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Wild at Heart! Please contact our Centre at 705-692-4478 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about volunteering.
Please note that before you can begin volunteering, an orientation is required. Orientations are scheduled at the Centre once a month, so do not worry if you do not receive an email right away. Our volunteer coordinator will be in contact with you as soon as possible.